Falmouth is the Host Port for the Tall Ships Races Magellan-Elcano 2023 .and the race starts on Friday August 18th.
The race will be preceded by a visually stunning Parade of Sail and several days worth of celebratory shoreside event from Tuesday 15th – Friday 18th August 2023
It will be the first time in nine years that the tall ships race has taken place in Falmouth and it has been secured once again, thanks to extensive behind-the-scenes work by the award-winning Falmouth Town Team – the partnership between Falmouth Town Council and Falmouth BID, alongside Perfect Events Group and Falmouth Tall Ships Association. This will be the sixth time Falmouth has hosted the prestigious regatta and race, with the inaugural one for the town being held in 1966
The Mayor of Falmouth, Councillor Steve Eva reacting to the announcement said:
“This really is fantastic news for the town and Falmouth Town Council is only too pleased to support. Credit must go to the efforts and behind the scenes negotiations by our brilliant Town Team for securing this event for the benefit of our community, businesses and visitors. To announce this, having recently delivered a superb in-person Sea Shanty Festival and the
news of the National Armed Forces Day is truly incredible! We have a strong pedigree in delivering memorable tall ships races and regattas over the years; they really hold a special place in the hearts and minds of so many. We greatly look forward to viewing the ships under full sail in Falmouth Bay once again!”
Richard Gates, Falmouth Town Manager added:
“It’s a welcome return for the Tall Ships Races, after it was postponed in 2020, and 2021, due to Covid restrictions. Our town’s history is intertwined with these magnificent vessels so you could say they are coming home! We’re really excited to be the venue for the start of the races. As always, we look forward to the truly awe-inspiring spectacle of the tall ships as they sail into the harbour.”
CEO of Cornwall Marine Network and Falmouth BID board member Paul Wickes MBE said:
‘The team at Cornwall Marine Network are delighted to see the Tall Ships returning to Falmouth in 2023. The event will demonstrate the best of the Port of Falmouth, with our amazing maritime heritage, excellent sailing waters and showcase some of the best of our local marine businesses. Once again CMN will commit team resources to support the recruitment of young people who will gain a once in a lifetime opportunity to sail on these historic Class A and Class B vessels. Well done to everyone in the Falmouth Town Team.’
Falmouth Tall Ships 2023 key facts:
- The global Tall Ships Races are organised by Sail Training International
- The event will take place between 15 -18 August 2023
- Falmouth is the Host Port for the Tall Ships Races Magellan-Elcano 2023. The race starts on Friday August 18th 2023.
- The race will be preceded by a visually stunning Parade of Sail and several days’ worth of celebratory shoreside events. Exact timings of the Parade of Sail TBC.
- The Falmouth Tall Ships 2023 event will be underwritten by Falmouth Town Council with financial support from Falmouth BID and Falmouth Tall Ships Association
- The Falmouth Tall Ships 2023 event will be organised by the Falmouth Town Team (Falmouth Town Management and Falmouth BID partnership), Perfect Events Group
(PEG), Falmouth Tall Ships Association and Falmouth Harbour Commissioners, with volunteer support from a dedicated ships liaison team
- The tall ships race follows a course from Falmouth to A Coruna in Spain, then onward to Portugal’s capital, Lisbon before finishing in Cadiz, Spain.
Find out all you need to know on on the link below
Click Here for further information